In need of a bowl of comfort in the morning? This will hit that chocolate-y spot! We have tons of quinoa in the pantry (the bulk sale on them a couple years ago was too good to pass up..) but finding different ways to use it up has gotten tricky! Add your fav fruit to it (I’m a fan of chocolate and banana) or sprinkle a little extra chopped up chocolate on top too! This can be made in advance as well and microwaved in the morning for your meal prep list (just add a splash of milk before heating).
- 1/2 cup white quinoa, cleaned/rinsed
- 1 cup coconut beverage or almond beverage (ideally calcium fortified, unsweetened)
- 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Toppings: Fruit and/or chocolate
What to do:
- In a small pot, combine quinoa and coconut/almond beverage. Heat on high until begins to boil then reduce heat to low to medium-low so mixture continues to simmer uncovered. Stir every few minutes. Cook for 25 minutes or until quinoa is cooked through and tender. Mixture will be soft with some moisture (similar to porridge).
- Once cooked, add cocoa, maple syrup, and salt. Stir through and cook for another 1-2 minutes to warm ingredients through.
- Add more coconut/almond beverage if you prefer your cereal thinner. Add more maple syrup if prefer it to be sweeter or more cocoa if you like it chocolatey.
- Portion into 2 bowls. Add favourite toppings.
Serves 2 individuals