With this week being feeding tube awareness week, I thought I’d share a DELISH meal/dessert idea that is perfect for those who can eat orally AND for those who require meals via their feed tube. It’s super easy – just stick all the ingredients into a blender and voila! For those eating orally, I would suggest heating the milk first so the meal is a bit warm. It’s perfect for breakfast or a sweet treat after dinner!
- 1 medium apple, pealed and chopped (approx 250 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk/ mylk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quick oats
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) pecans
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon, ground
What to do:
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend for 1-2 minutes until fully blended.
- If eating orally: Enjoy!
- If consuming via tube:
- If using a lower powered blender, strain blended food to ensure no chunky bits and enjoy!
- If using a high powered blender (Vitamix, Blendec), enjoy without straining!
Provides approx: 520 calories, 20g protein, 8g fibre
Tips & Tricks:
- Do not use this tube feed meal without consulting with your Registered Dietitian to ensure the blenderized meal is the right fit for your feeding tube and feeding method (syringe, gravity, pump).
- Finding the meal too thick in consistency for your feed? Add more milk to thin out the consistency.