The holidays are full of TONS of dinner parties/potlucks and minimal time to make a balanced meal. This recipe will help with your holiday dilemma. The simplicity of the recipe and minimal ingredients/prep time will make it one of your weeknight dinner go-to’s PLUS it can double for a perfect potluck protein addition to next holiday party you’re invited to! And it’s mighty delish.
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, washed, 1/2 cm slices – approx 2 kale stocks
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil + 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 chicken breasts, cut in half for stuffing (see below)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Gruyere cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper (or seasoning salt, to taste)
- Toothpicks (optional, but helpful!)
What to do:
- In a medium heatpan, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook for approx 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add kale, salt and pepper and cook for approx 5 minutes until wilted and warmed through. Cool.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cut middle of chicken breast (“butterfly” technique) to make a pocket into the meat. Stuff breast with 2-3 tbsp (30-45 mL) kale and 1 tbsp (15 mL) Gruyere cheese. Optional: use toothpicks to hold chicken closed to help with the cooking process – prevent “stuffing” from spilling out while cooking. Do this for all 4 chicken breast.
- Heat large pan on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Add stuffed chicken breast and cook for 4-5 minutes covered with a lid. After 4-5 minutes, flip chicken breast and cook for another 4-5 minutes uncovered.
- Once cooked, allow chicken breast to rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice into 2 cm pieces.
- Serve with a salad. NOM!
Serves approx 4-6 individuals.