I know what you’re thinking.. this chick is crazy to think this will taste good. But it actually is! I’ve never been on board with the “energy bite” craze but these little guys have got me hooked. It’s super easy, takes very little time to prepare but is packed with fibre, vitamin A and gives you the chocolatey fix without the guilt. No need to be super precise with measurements and it’s easy to sub the basic ingredients to develop the flavour profile you’re looking for! Thanks Half Your Plate for the recipe inspiration!
- 1 sweet potato (approx 2 cups (500 mL) worth), mashed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oats
- 1/4 cup nuts (60 ml), chopped (peanut, almond, hazelnut, etc)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) nut butter (peanut, almond, etc)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) maple syrup
- 2.5 tbsp (20 ml) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60mL) chocolate chips, melted or 1/4 cup (60 mL) coconut flakes or 1/4 cup (60 mL) cocoa powder (optional)
What to do:
- Place sweet potato in a large bowl. Cover with a lid and microwave for approx 8-10 minutes (until soft). Once cooked, cut sweet potato in half and scoop out flesh. Place in a large bowl.
- Add oats, nuts, nut butter, maple syrup, cocoa and salt to bowl. Mix thoroughly. Cool in fridge for approx 10 minutes (or until firm).
- Roll into approx 10-12 balls (more or less depending on how big you like ’em!)
- Optional: Drizzle with melted chocolate or roll in coconut or cocoa powder.
Tips & Tricks:
- Store these treats in an air tight container in the fridge – they can last 3-4 days.
- They are an easy treat to prep in advance and portion into small containers for a quick grab+go snack on those busy days.
- Added bonus: they’re vegan!