Let’s just try not focusing on how it’s the last week of August, how the weather is already cooling down and try relishing every last moment of Vancouver’s (short) summer! As the dietitian in the family, I’m always trying to find ways to get more veggies into my family’s tummies. With a large family picnic this past month, I obvs had to make something that was fun, delicious but also nutritious. Cue these vegetable kebabs!
I enjoy making kebabs at home with guests since it gives them the opportunity to choose which veggies they prefer for their own kebabs. This time, I did a variety on one skewer (since I prepped them the night before) so people had lots of options on the pre-made kebabs. The marinade/dressing it brushed on while cooking so the veggies are soft yet slightly crunchy with a delicious savoury flavour! Make the most out of August this week by makin’ them for your meals this week! You can put whatever veggies or combinations of veg you prefer but I noted below what I did (pieces per skewer) in case you need some guidance or inspo! Plus it’s gluten free, vegan and easy to modify to low histamine if you have a food intolerance/sensitivities/allergies.
- 2 large white or red onions, cut into 8 pieces (quartered then halved) – added to each end of the skewer
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry tomatoes – 1-2 tomatoes per skewer
- 2 cups (500 mL) button or cremini mushrooms – 1-2 mushrooms per skewer
- 3 bell peppers, cubed – 1-2 pieces per skewer
- 1 large green zucchini, 1/2 cm slices – 1 piece per skewer
- 1-2 yellow zucchini, 1/2 cm slices – 1 piece per skewer
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) olive or avocado oil
- 1/4 (60 mL) cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 (2 mL) tsp ground cumin
- 4-6 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
What to do:
- Preheat BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Thread vegetables onto skewers – aim for 6-8 vegetable pieces per skewer.
- Place kebabs onto grill. Brush marinade using basting brush immediately onto kebabs. Cook for 5-7 minutes on 1 side on open, uncovered grill.
- Flip kebabs and brush marinade again on other side. Cook for additional 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Reduce heat if noticing the vegetables are burning.
- Remove kebabs from BBQ onto serving plate.
Makes 24-30 kebabs
Tips & Tricks
- Using wooden or bamboo skewers? Be sure to soak them in water for 30-60 minutes so the skewers don’t burn a ton during the grilling process!
- Don’t have a basting brush? I also spooned the marinade on top of the kebabs and it worked well!
- The vegetable suggestions are JUST suggestions! Be adventurous and try other veggies that you love.
- You can assemble the skewers up to 2-3 days in advance for meal prep – store in an air tight container. Remove from the fridge 15-20 minutes before cooking so the vegetables can come back to room temp to help with the cooking process.