Weeknight meals can be the WORST when you’re in a rush, haven’t done much meal prep or are just plain ol’ busy – I’m sure this is resonating with you since this SURE is what my past few weeks have looked like. One thing I usually keep in the pantry is a can of beans (likely chickpeas) as a quick source of protein for our meals. This recipe has got yo back when it comes to simplicity and perfection for meal prep Sundays (or whichever day of the week you do a bit of meal planning).
I used these chickpeas as a source of protein alongside pasta with tomato sauce, on top of salads.. or just to nom on when I’m needing a salty munchie (I almost finished 1/4 of the batch just snacking on them when it came out of the oven…!)
I’ve found crispy chickpea recipes a bit overcomplicated.. too much fuss when it comes to making sure it’s perfectly dried, removing the skins.. blah blah blah. Instead, this is a one pan deal, only 4 ingredients (or a few more if you like more spices), super versatile and great even out of the fridge when not perfectly crisp for future meals. Give it a try!
- 1 can (15-19oz) “no salt added” chick peas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) oil (anything in your pantry – I used olive oil)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt -(add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt if using the salt-containing chickpeas)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) fav spice blend – like cumin and paprika
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain can of chickpeas.
- Mix oil, salt, and spices into chickpeas.
- Spread mixture onto a baking tray in an even layer.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes. Stir mixture halfway into cooking time to ensure browning on all sides.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.