Summer isn’t over yet which means taking advantage of allllll the delicious fruit and makin’ frozen treats from them! I was wanting to post an easy popsicle recipe but realized I didn’t have popsicle molds (and they’re also oddly hard to find in store..) So, I thought I’d make a granita instead!
What’s a granita? It’s essentially a frozen fruit dessert with lots of fruit blended up with a liquid then frozen. It’s distinct featured is the “shaved ice” look to it that’s developed by stirring the mixture as it freezes then “shaving” the icy mixture with a fork. It’s super easy!
- 2 cups mango, peeled/cubed (~ 2 large mangoes)
- 2 cups pineapple, peeled/cored/cubed (~ 1/2 a pineapple)
- 1/2 can coconut milk (200mL)
- Optional (if you like it sweeter): Preferred sweetener (a few dates, maple syrup or make it super indulgent with sweetened condensed milk)
What to do:
- Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend until a pureed mixture – it will look like a thick smoothie.
- Poor mixture into a 9”x13” baking tray. Stick into the freezer covered.
- After 1 hour, use a fork to stir the top of the mixture/sides of the mixture and bring to the centre of the pan. Continue doing this every hour for the next 2-3 hours. The mixture will then firm up. Using a fork, scrape the granita to form fruity ice crystals. Cover completely and freeze until serving.
- Ain’t got time for that? Just keep in the freezer and freeze overnight. The mixture will be quite firm. Prior to serving, remove from freezer for 5 minutes then use a fork to form the icy crystals (it’ll involve a little more elbow grease than the first method!)
Tips & Tricks:
- Don’t mind a bit more fibre? Keep the core of the pineapple and blend it up! I found this added a different flavour and reduced the sweetness of the granita but try it for yourself!
- Not like me and actually have some popsicle molds? This is PERFECT for a simple, easy popsicle for the yourself and the kiddos!
- Got some extra granita and not sure what to do with it? Use it as a smoothie base! It’s perfect to add cubed up as a cold, creamy base for smoothies.
- Not into the colada idea? Use any fruit or liquid you prefer and use the same proportions I used to make your own fruity deliciousness!